Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Finding and giving support to other Chiarian's

First I'm just going to give a quick update (a recap of last post). I'm healing very well. Hard not to with the amazing care and support from all my family and friends. Two and a half weeks after the surgery I decided that to take my self off of the pain narcotics. I was still in alot of pain but the drugs had worse side effects. I had a hard time sleeping and when I did fall asleep I had terrifying nightmares. I did speak to my Surgon's assistant and she suggested I try Darvaset for pain. It's a non- narcotic pain med. I took one when I woke up and one before bed. After a week I cut back to only one at night. You see, it's not that my pain is gone or that I'm a glutten for pain I just believe that one the drugs (even Darvicet) my body couldn't tell me when enough was enough and to rest so I would "over do it" more when taking pills. So hurting yes but being more awarwe of my body and limits. I have had an emotional time with all of this and can't wait to have no more limits to what I can and can't do.
With my head more clear and my eyes a bit more open I look back on all of this. The whole experience from start to finish. I remember the struggle of thinking I was crazy because no one knew what was wrong with me to being terribly frightened about the surgery. There were so many decisions that were hard to make and no one to talk to who had been through it all. So here it is...
I am going to beigin a new chapter of my journey. This chapter is about me helping others. Give them ( family and frineds too!) support, knowledge, and most of all some one to talk to. I'm sure there are Chiari support groups out there. My intentions are to help people who need those groups find them and to join or create a support group locally in MN for people affected by Chiari. Please leave a comment, call me, or talk to me with ideas or comments.

PS...Yes yes yes the pictures are comming but I have had problems putting them in my computer. Maybe computer wiz kid Roberto can figure it out for me. :)

Love,
-AP

1 comment:

lace1070 said...

Glad to hear that you are on the mend and weening yourself off the pain meds ~ I feel the same way as I am 2.5 weeks post op from tethered cord. It's hard to tell what hurts and what your limits are when they are dulled. I think your new journey to help others is awesome ~ us with brain tails should spread the word about chiari and educate others ~ we are all going through a rough bump in life and it's easier when u know there are others out there to help. Hugs to you ~ Lacie
http://livelovelaugh-lace1013.blogspot.com/